Reflection, summer planning

Dear 2027,

Happy new year!

I hope the break has given you all time to rest and reflect on your first term at Wes and to start thinking about the spring term a bit. 

Before starting off the spring semester, I always think it’s a great idea for students to take this time to consider their goals for the upcoming term. These goals do not need to be lofty, but can be pragmatic (get more sleep, become more involved, etc.) or philosophical (I will continue to learn more about myself through therapy, I will believe in myself and know that I belong here, etc.). Here are three questions I always recommend asking:

1. One thing you’ll continue to do in the spring term.
  2. One thing you’re going to start doing in the spring term. 
  3. One thing you’ll stop doing this spring term. 

This is also a good time to start planning your summer, whether you’ll be working, pursuing an internship and/or taking a course.

In terms of internships, make sure that you’re working with the Gordon Center and know that you’re eligible to earn .25 credit for an internship with them: https://careercenter.wesleyan.edu/channels/internship-for-credit/

This takes planning, so it’s a good idea to look this over now.

If you’re thinking about taking a summer course, please know that Wesleyan will offer some and the financial aid information will be come out early in the spring semester, usually in February, and the course information will be posted on the website (https://www.wesleyan.edu/summer/)

If you’d like to take a summer course closer to home, please know that you can transfer course credit back to Wesleyan. Please note that he maximum you can bring back in a given summer is 2.00 credits. 

Here is the process:

-You must reach out to the relevant department chair based on the course content and provide them with the course description and/or syllabus.

-If they approve the course, you must earn a C- or better, but the grade itself does not transfer back to Wesleyan, only the credit.

-If the course is worth 4.00 credits at the other institution, it will be worth 1.00 Wesleyan credit. If the course is worth 3.00 credits at the other institution, it will transfer back as 0.75 Wesleyan credit.

-Once we have the permission to transfer credit form (which is available here) signed by the department chair and an official transcript sent directly from the other university, we can post the credit on your academic history.

Just be in touch, as always, if you have any questions.

Take care and we’ll see you soon!

Best,

DW